Sunday, November 14, 2010

Your Permission, Please

I was just on the brink of making a decision to stray off the C25K plan this week, but I stopped. I'd like to put the issue out there and get your feedback first.

I'd like to step away from Couch to 5K Week 8 this week to prepare for my race this coming weekend. I just registered for the Holiday in Lights 5K and I'd like to run it in intervals instead of trying to run the whole thing.

Issue 1: It's a 5K. I've only run "straight" for 28 minutes, roughly 2 miles. I'm fully confident that I wouldn't make it 3.1 miles without stopping, but would end up walking the last mile and feeling negative about the whole experience

Issue 2: It's a challenging, hilly course, as described on the website. Hills = my enemy.

So, what are your thoughts? May I practice intervals for my two runs this week instead of proceeding with Week 8 workouts? I'm thinking run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute intervals might be good. That's what Jeff Galloway recommends.

Please pipe up. My last ventures off "the plan" haven't gone so well for me, so I feel like I need permission from rational, detached thinkers.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure I'm all that rational, but I'm pretty detached, so here's my two cents: do what feels more comfortable. Sure, the goal is to push yourself on this, but if there's a way to do it without feeling like you've "failed" for not running the whole thing, go for it. Your idea seems good; probably better than just running until you poop out.

    ReplyDelete