Saturday, May 29, 2010

Update, Running Buddy #2, Redlegs, and Bathing Suits

I know, I know! It's been forever since my last post. Let's just say there are reasons and they are good ones. I won't even classify them as "excuses." Don't dwell on the past; look forward.

Well, I do want to look back for a moment more and point out that, while I didn't post about it, I did run this week. Twice. Tuesday's run was rough. It was warm out, but not too warm. It was humid, but not too humid. I had planned on making that run a difficult one, perhaps do 3 miles instead of just the normal 2. That didn't happen. My legs just weren't having it. They were sore or something, I don't know. So, I finished 2 miles in about 30 minutes. Below par, but still okay. Just a bogey.

I also ran yesterday with Running Buddy #2. It was her first time trying C25k and she just had a baby 8 weeks ago. She tackled Week 1 with great determination, pressed through those running intervals, and did great. I'm pretty sure she needs applause.

Go ahead, clap.

During our 5 minute cool down, Running Buddy #2 and I discussed why the program is a good one. It's running and running is scary, especially for extremely out-of-shape and even obese [spit, hiss, hack, booo!] people like me. C25K works because it's doable. The first workouts are so difficult to get past, but it's completely possible to finish them! You'll be tired, sweaty, and panting by the end, but you will have made it to the end, by golly. And for people who are used to not making it to the end, that's a big deal.

Speaking of being used to not finishing -- er, well, of being last to finish (this is a stretch segue, I know) ...

Running Buddy #2 and I also went to school together. We're talking all the way through. I'm thinking kindergarten or first grade or something. In fact, yesterday we shared our first reunion since graduating high school, which happened exactly 10 years ago. Creeeeepy! We grew up with the same gym teachers and, while she tried to steal my title of "always last to finish in gym class" yesterday, I put her in her place and she resigned to, "Okay, second to last." Anyway, I brought up to her that I think our childhood physical education might have been a lot more effective if it involved some kind of fun interval running like C25K instead of the wonderful, "Okay kids, go run around the gym while I sit on the bleachers and pick my nose." I'm pretty sure even tubby little me would have been able to keep up with the other kids and wouldn't have suffered from another self-esteem crash-and-burn. Yes, that might hold other children back a bit, but it's a progressive program and they wouldn't have to stop running, right? Right.

I welcome feedback on this topic. How did you feel in gym class growing up? Were you front, back or middle of the pack? How did it impact you?

I have another bit of information to share with you. I'm pretty sure Hell just froze over, because I just paid to run my first 5K.

I paid ... to run.

What? How? I never thought this would happen, EVER! AND, when I registered today, they had a tshirt that will probably fit me. This is a bigger deal than the 5k! Ha!

I'll be running/walking in the Redlegs Run for Home 5K next Saturday with my best bud, Jeff. He doesn't know it yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to force him to run with me instead of trotting ahead like the fabulously fit stage performer he is. Jerk. =)

So, this coming Saturday morning, please send happy breathing and muscle thoughts my way. As long as it's not thunderstorming and raining buckets, I'll be happy.

One more final piece of news for you. I put on a bathing suit today for the first time since last summer. (Sorry for the mental image.) But, I can now officially see a difference in my body shape. It's subtle, and most people probably wouldn't notice, but I do. I think fat rolls 3a and 3b have significantly decreased, or have become one with 2a and 2b. Maybe they got married. I hope they don't have any kids ...

Happy long weekend folks! Thank a soldier or veteran.

1 comment: