Saturday, May 22, 2010

Otto Armleder Park ... And Girly Talk

Welcome to my advertisement for a new Cincinnati-area park. The only compensation I get for my advertising efforts is a free, sweaty run around the park's wonderfully flat bike/walk/run path.

So, as you might have gathered, I tried a new running path today. Otto Armelder Park is a relatively new park on the east side of Cincy. (The website is terribly un-useful.) A family friend of mine (Hi Debbie G.!) pointed me here, claiming it was flat and a convenient 2-mile loop. She forgot to mention that it's beautiful! Well, as beautiful as a flat plot of ground next to the Little Miami River can be, I suppose. Yeah, the river was a total surprise, by the way. There I am, jogging along, and whoa, the river is right there. It's a scenic river, too, so it was a pleasure to stumble across, unlike the Ohio. Yucko. So, I sacrificed my running time to take photos along the way.
The Little Miami River

I saw a few signs saying that the area was being reclaimed as a bird habitat, and they weren't kidding! I saw birds I've never seen before. (Side note: I'm hideously afraid of birds, butterflies, and pretty much all winged creatures, but I still think they're among the most beautiful creatures ever. Just keep your flipping, flapping wings away from me. Simple as that.) There were a few photographers and/or bird watchers around too, so the "habitat" must be doing pretty well. Here's one of the birdhouses along the way.

The birds were perched on top of them, like they were standing guard or something.

It also seems to be a popular place for cyclists. There were quite a few on the short path today; guess they can't handle the length or traffic at the very nearby Lunken Airport Bike Path (5 miles). No worries, though. The wide paths left plenty of room for runners and walkers. Unlike the super skinny path at Veterans Memorial Park.

A guy on a bike. Ooooh ... aaaaah!

It's also a nice, meandering path, so it doesn't feel sterile like a standard running track or anything. Always a plus. Also a plus are the sweet distance markers. 0.2, 0.4, 0.6 ... the path is marked at every two-tenths of a mile. Very helpful.


Now, let's talk about the actual run. I'm still baffled by my abilities lately! I got out of my car, found the "0-0" on the ground, and took off running. Again, ran for a good 3:30 before I stopped to take a picture of the river. I think next time I'm going to just try to keep running. I have a feeling it'd be less shock to my body than I initially thought. If you have advice on that, please share!

On to the girly stuff. Guys, feel free to end here.

What on EARTH do you gals do about cramps and running? Do you press through or do you call it a loss? Right around the 1-mile mark, I practically gave up.

Not comfortable.

I did keep walking, of course, and eventually, after my lengthy photography sessions, I felt better and started running again. I finished 2 miles in a half-hour, so clearly I didn't let it get to me too badly, but still ... I want to know how you deal.

So, the run went well enough today that I'm considering going tomorrow. This would be the first time I attempt two days in a row. Scary! But, gotta get ready to run some 5Ks baby! WOOHOO!

Also, has anyone run the File Mile Trail? Thoughts? How hilly is it?

I'll leave you with an amazingly red, sweaty, triple-chinned, gasping photo of me, mid-run.

Mmm ... attractive.
I'm posting this as proof that I really do fill the credentials of a More-to-Love Runner.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, so this is the first time I've read your blog and I love it!!! I started running as a 200 pound girl back in college and completed a marathon weighing not much less than that. Together, we are living proof that you don't have to be stick-thin to be a runner! Of course, the longer I kept with it, the smaller I became... not a bad side effect, but it wasn't really my initial goal. It's just fun to get out there, be active, do something healthy, and see things in a different way than you would in a car. Rock on, girl!

    Oh, and as for the cramps, I think you just get used to it eventually. I'm sure they used to slow me down, but now I run through them (well, right now I'm pregnant, but I run through that too!) and they seem to lessen. That's my experience anyway. If all else fails, take a few ibuprofen before heading out and it shouldn't bother you too much. (Same goes for other ailments... let's face it, running can be painful!)

    Of course, one of my biggest recommendations for running, among other things, is chiropractics. My husband is a chiropractor and I have experienced far fewer running injuries or discomforts since getting adjusted. Running is pretty bad on the hips, so keeping them lined up helps a ton.

    That's my two cents for now. Keep running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Due to the wonders of modern medicine, I don't really get cramps any more. However, back when I did, I always felt that exercising (or dance, which was my exercise of choice if you didn't know) helped to ease them. AND STRETCHING!

    Great park though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god Five Mile Trail is brutal, and I mean that in the most honest way possible! I don't think I ever ran the entire thing more than 2 different times because there are just so many hills! I'd be interested to hear about it if you attempt it!

    Keep up the good work!! I'm jealous of all of your running these days!!

    ReplyDelete