Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May The Fourth ... Be With You

Sorry, I had to go there. Can I tell you how long it took me to figure out why I kept seeing "May the Fourth be With You" everywhere? Oh, from about 9:30 a.m., when my favorite daily blog, Cake Wrecks, gets posted until around 3:30 p.m. "Who decided it was Star Wars Day, why is it today, and why are people posting this like they have a lisp?" Clearly I'm a huge follower of Star Wars, seeing as how I've never seen any of the movies. It's the one with the guy with the pointy ears, right? Ooooh, just kidding.

Well, the Force must have been with me today, on May fourth, because I just had an excellent run. WOOHOO! "Holidaaaaay. Celebraaaaate." (Name that movie for 10 points.) I just knew I would be rewarded for my two lunchless days of work and missing all the beautiful weather we've been having. My time has come.

I ran at Veterans Park again today. I shy away from this one because I think the total track is just a hair over one mile, and I'm afraid to disappoint myself when I don't finish two laps in the same amount of time that I finish at Juilfs. Oh well, today I went for it anyway because I didn't want to run hills. And I'm glad I went. I got to see the only flying animal I really like: ducks. "Quack, quack, quack, Mr. Ducksworth."

Here are some shots of Veterans, because my pal, Rob, told me I should post pictures. (Hi Rob!)

Such a pretty day!




One of these days I'll ask some paparazzi to get a shot of me dying/running. I promise.

Anyway, not only did I finish in a spot that was farther than I did previously, I extended one of my runs with very little suffering AND added two mini runs during my cool-down. I don't know people, but I think I may only have another week or two left before I can try to bump up to Week 3. YIKES! Now that's frightening!

Frankly, I'm shocked I did so well. I haven't run for an entire week. How does that work out for you? Do you run better after a little break or when you keep a steady every-other-day-ish workout schedule?

Oh, and I need a little info from my veg head friends. I'm getting kind of peeved with people that ask about my protein needs. The Skinny Bitch writers stand pretty firm by saying we don't need nearly as much protein as Americans generally eat. Thoughts? How much protein do you eat? Do you feel like you have to pay special attention to it? How do you ward off protein-questioning skeptics?

Next run should be Thursday since most of my schedule fluctuations have been taken care of. Fingers crossed.

I'll leave you with this photo:


I had to primer the walls in the bedroom of my old apartment.
So, I took the opportunity to do a little branding. Silly, but fun.

4 comments:

  1. Omg, the protein questions were SO annoying. Honestly I never paid close attention. I made sure to have something protein-y at every meal, same as I did (and do now again) when eating meat, and I stayed really healthy. And if someone was harder to convince, I'd inform them that my doctor said I was eating very healthy so there. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I like your approach! I wanted to share with readers what my friend, Nikki, posted about this topic on my Facebook post. No one does smart-ass sarcasm like Nik, but I think she speaks with wisdom! =)

    "Hey! I HATE when people ask me how I get enough protein. most meat eaters have no clue how much protein a person is supposed to get in a day OR how much they have had that day. And secondly, Boca and Morningstar make great meat substitute products loaded with protein low in cals and fat. I'm addicted the Morningstar fake ribs right now. High in sugar :( but so delish!
    ...
    When I am feeling like a smart ass and someone asks me how I get enough protein, I ask them how much protein a burger or chicken breast has in it. Seriously not many know. I feel that because I have to justify my choices to ppl, I am actually more aware of protein intake than your average person. I am definitely more aware than when I ate meat and never thought about what I ate."

    Thanks Nik!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAY TO GO RUNNING!!

    I did pay attention to protein when I was doing veg. But I've had protein issues. When I was in Idaho (and in the FREEZING cold), I had to eat protein to stay full.

    Anyway, I do agree that Americans eat too much protein. I've heard that your plate should be half veggies, one quarter protein, one quarter grains. A "serving" of meat is 3 oz. Think about those giant steaks! It's probably 3, 4, 5 times the amount you need.

    That's the perspective from a carnivore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here's what Sarah, my other vegetarian go-to, had to say:

    "I like to make people feel awkward sometimes and say something to the effect of "does it look like I'm wasting away to you?". People do eat more protein than they need, let's face it, the majority of Americans aren't professional bodybuilders or something. PB, dairy, meat substitutes, eggs if you eat them...not hard to get enough."

    ReplyDelete