Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tricking My Knees - Little Miami Scenic 6/5

I think I figured out a way to trick my knees into letting me run and I got to test it out today.

Success!

Caitlin sent me a text this morning to see if I was up for a run on the Little Miami Scenic Trail. So, we headed out. We did just shy of 3 miles (1.5-ish miles out, 1.5-ish miles back) and only took a few short walk breaks on the second leg. It was hot, y'all.

I'm really pleased with the run, though. I'm so glad I got some significant distance in (to me, that means more than 2 miles), and I'm also glad I got to test out the knee-tricker with our few walk breaks.

So, the trick is to start running with my knees bent a little more than normal. Kind of like a shock resistance thing, I guess. The hurting knee (right) doesn't hurt when I do that, and the popping knee (behind the left one) doesn't pop quite so much. And, I can do that throughout the run whenever either one of them starts acting up.

So yay for tricking my body into cooperating!

First day of boot camp tomorrow.
Chiropractor appointment (boo!) tomorrow to fiddle with my back and knees.
First day of the new job on Tuesday.

Thanks for checking in!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you may have your knee issue worked out! When I started running, I had one knee that REALLY killed after a run (may have something to do with one of my legs having a odd curve/stride). I got one of those velcro knee braces and it really helped until my knees got strong enough to handle things on their own. If your knees are hurting after all this time, you may be beyond using knee braces, but thought I'd toss that out! Keep running!

    ReplyDelete