Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Something Is Not Right With Me - TQL 5/31

"...Trying not to let it show."

Thanks, Cold War Kids!

(Link to the YouTube video here because apparently you can't embed on the iPhone.)

This is no good, folks. I almost had a panic attack/crying episode tonight, and it wasn't because I was forcing myself to run in the heat. It was because I was physically unable to run. Backwards, right?

I started the run, fighting the knee twinge that has sadly become a regular part of warming up for me. But I limped and shook it off and got into my groove. I banged out a nice, slow mile+ before I stopped to take a short walk break. But when I started to run again, my knee had other plans. Lots o' pain. Twinges with every right-foot strike.

So I walked a little more, then tried again. No go. I stopped counting after 5 tries. Each attempt sent the pain shooting in my joint.

I let my recent worries take hold of me and started to panic at the thought of my running "career" being over already, before I reach my first anniversary of road races (5k's). I finally found a healthy activity that I love and could see myself doing for a long time, but my body can't take it.

Just as I was reaching my car, I decided to give it one last go up a very VERY short little hill (we're talking 4 long running strides). I bounded up and went to take my last step to crest the hill when the concrete reached up and tripped me.

Bastard.

Turns out there's a flaw in the pavement that I didn't see. I tripped and caught myself with my legs (no scraped palms), and I could feel that I jarred something, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Sure enough, I tried to run again, and after a few careful strides, I was good to go again. Unfortunately I can tall this isn't going to go away, though. Something is not right with me, for sure.

Oh yeah, and I've got all kinds of weird popping awfulness behind my other knee. Please tell me how one stupid half-marathon can make so many things go wrong.

So, not such a happy run tonight, but at least it wasn't an attitude problem on my behalf. Just a silly potentially-run-ending mystery injury. Pish posh...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment