Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Laces And Leashes

Tonight, just for you, I have both a question and a rant, both involving strings. You're welcome.

Also, because of the continuing and escalating drama with my personal laptop, I am posting this from my iPhone Blogger app. Therefore, this post will potentially riddled with mis-taps/typos. Forgive me.

LACES

How tight do you tie your running shoe laces? Super tight, tight, loose, or slip-on/off loose? Why? What's the proper tightness? What happens to you personally if you tie your shoes the "wrong" way?

I can't pick a tightness! Too loose and I slide and get leg cramps. Too tight and I get top-of-foot cramps and sometimes shin splints. What gives? What's the science?

Please speak up regardless of your experience level.

LEASHES

I may or may not have lashed out at a couple this evening while on my jog. Yelling doesn't count if your headphones are too loud for you to hear yourself, right?

Whatever, it was warranted.

Dog people, I may offend you. Consider yourself warned.

You MUST share the path. Your dogs do NOT have the right of way.

If you cannot control your 10-pound rat-dogs who are running wild at the end of their 30-foot extendable leashes, you should not bring them on the run/walk path.

Extendable leashes should not be permitted in a run/walk path or within 50 feet of other people.

Not everyone likes dogs. Do not assume everyone likes dogs. Just because your heart melts at the sign of a slobbering, bounding puppy-wuppy, it does not mean the runner trying to get around you enjoys doggie claws and tongues and barks.

If said runner is trying to get around you, do your part. This is especially true if you looked back and saw that runner approaching 20 yards away. And when that runner is slow and gives you plenty if time to do so. And when you're on a hill. And when the path only fits two people (minus rat dogs). I'm certainly not asking you to dive aside and clear the whole path (though some very polite folks do that), but you shouldn't expect me to have to do that to get around you and your posse either. Please reel in your mutts and pretend to respect those around you. There are many responsible dog owners in the world. Join the ranks. I bet you don't even scoop poop. Shame.

Rant complete. Bring on the repercussions! And please comment on the laces. :)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. 1) I just tie my laces regular. I think that I don't like, too tight, but can't really say that it's adversely affected my running.

    2) We walk April on a trail where there are tons of joggers and bikers, we make sure to get out of the way. Although I do appreciate when the bikers give a "on your left", since they come up pretty fast. I do understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i usually tie mine pretty tight cause the guy at the store was adamant i get a size that i felt was a little big and when my shoes are big and my feet slip i get blisters but only when i run so i like them tight when i run and loose when i walk does that help your question
    i typed all that with out punctuation or gramma yay!
    then i re read it and thought i would be funny if you read it aloud monotone like a robot! YAY!
    ok!
    Hope!
    aLL! is?
    WEll!?:"":::"';;;;;;;
    lo;

    ;-)

    jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding laces: I tie mine tight. Feet swell when you run, thus taking up more room, and they also move inside the shoe itself. If my shoes are too loose, I feel too much movement. For me, the tighter the better (although not like crazy tight).

    Regarding leashes: I totally agree. When I take my dogs to a park on the path, they are required to heel and stay close. When I hear someone approaching at a faster speed, or the iconic "on your left" shout, I scoot all 3 of us over. Big dogs take up a lot of room! But there are always people that don't get that you're supposed to share the path, and yes, that includes your dinky 10 pound dog as well. I see it all the time and usually I give them a dirty look (from behind my sunglasses nonetheless) and swear at them under my iPod music. :)

    ReplyDelete