Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I Need To See Your Socks

Ugh, I have just finished a terrible run. Terrible. I hate when those happen, so so much. And I know they happen and happen for the strangest of reasons or no reason at all. Heck, I'm one to encourage others by saying just that.

"Don't worry. Bad runs happen. Sometimes your body just doesn't want to function and there's nothing you can do about it."

I'm not so sure I believe myself anymore. I mean, I'm sure I'll believe myself after I get out of my slump and have a good run.

But for now, I feel disgusted and angry. I have both a list of issues and a list of things to blame. Let's begin, shall we?

Issues:
  • My shin muscles attacked me. This after a conversation with one of my managers today about how impossible it is to run with bad shin splints. I got them bad today, too. It's been awhile since I've had "zombie legs" from shin cramps. (Zombie legs = can't use your shin muscles to lift your feet, as is required for walking and running.)
  • The balls of my feet hurt. Ugh! It's like there are teensy pebbles or a piece of coarse sandpaper under my feet. Annoying
  • Gross alert: My "post-nasal drip" (back of throat phlegm) was super profuse, thick, and gross. It was choking me. It's kind of hard to breathe through that stuff!
  • My nose was burning. Did I discuss the post-workout sneezing issue with you all this spring? If not, it needs its own blog post. It's the strangest thing and it only seems to happen when it's not hot and humid. Great. Anyway, this phenomenon is often paired with burning nasal passages. Not comfortable. Exercise sneezes anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Things to blame:
  • New shoes. I love them, I do, but I'm still in the awful breaking-in phase. Have you ever had a smooth transition between new shoes and nice broken in shoes? If so, how did you pull that off? Anyway, I think I can blame the shoes for the shin splints.
  • Socks. I just bought new socks and I'm convinced they're terrible. For years I've been a hard core Hanes athletic socks gal, but I just bought 3 pairs of Goldtoe something somethings at Target. I don't know--they looked athletic-y. I've varied from the classic Hanes before and the results were similar to the sandpaper sensation I experienced tonight. So, do socks matter? Why? What kind of socks do you run in? Why? I need to know. I'm in the market.
  • Work shoes. I wore new work shoes yesterday and they were heels. They hurt the balls of my feet. THEN I had to pound up and down the stairs a bunch at work today and my feet hurt again. I hate shoes. You know, if everyone wore athletic shoes in a professional work environment, I'm pretty sure no one would look less professional because of it. Why can't this be a law? I'm confident that allowing athletic shoes in corporate dress codes would improve the cost of health care for that company. There, I said it. Prove me wrong.
  • Holistic health. I bought a netti pot (squeeze bottle) thingy last week and have used it a few times. I'm now convinced it has robbed me of my body's natural ability to thin out my back-of-my-throat goop. Gross, yes, but it happens. I'm sorry. I've had this phlegm issue since I was a wee one in gym class. Stupid gym teachers.
So, that's my Negative Nelly post for now. Please offer any words of wisdom you may have. Especially about the socks.

5 comments:

  1. I use champion and have no issues. But that's about all I've got. If your feet are sweaty are there wicking socks? Of course, I fully believe in 100% white cotton socks for working out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about it some more last night. I have a feeling it has to do with the fabric type. I think my Hanes are cotton and the new ones definitely aren't. In fact, the ones I've tried before that weren't comfortable were likely synthetic as well.

    But, while I was sitting at Fleet Feet this weekend, I read a sign about why synthetic fabric socks are better than cotton. I don't remember the reasoning other than something about sweat (your feet produce enough sweat to fill an 8 oz. glass every day ... isn't that gross?), but I remember being shocked that there was even an argument. Now I see why.

    I'll run in the Hanes next and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even own any socks anymore that are cotton; everything I own is moisture-wicking when I run / work out / run errands / whatever. I own lots of Balega (purchased at Fleet Feet). I have no issues that I'm aware of with the socks, and the ones I buy are for an exact reason: they have this lip-sort of thing at the heel that is cushioned so that they don't fall down while running! I despise that about normal socks, so I only wear these now. Here's a link to what they look like: http://www.sportsbasement.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=7248-S09!Bal

    Just my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I've never had a problem "breaking in" running shoes ... they fit perfect the day I get them and I rarely have much of a transition period. If you get the right shoes, which it sounds like you did this time (congrats! I love Fleet Feet), it shouldn't last for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a couple of pair of Balega socks, too, and I like them. I've always been a the-look-the-feel-of-cotton kind of person myself, but I've been told that cotton holds in moisture and isn't good for running socks. I've liked the Balegas so far. So, I'm saving my cotton socks for non-running activities.

    ReplyDelete