Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Without Cable, With Running

Happy cable-free Tuesday morning to me!

That’s right, the boob-tube is currently without mojo. My sparkly new television has nothing to broadcast. I said so long to cable services as of yesterday while I was at work and since I don’t have an antenna, the screen is black. I’m cool with it though. It’ll give me more reason to run longer runs and to post more frequently and to read books and practice writing other things.

I may also try some evening yoga on non-running days. I bought this “Yoga for Weight Loss” DVD a few years ago and have only done it a few times (shocker), mostly because it’s so long.

From Amazon.

Plus, yoga can be a little too calm for me. But, if I call it my resting day workout, I might be able to come to terms with a “slow” yoga session.

So, running …

I had a good run last night, folks. My friend, Caitlin (Hi Caitlin!) joined me for her second try at this running thing and did a great job. I introduced her to Week 1 of C25K on Saturday in the blazing sun, but brought her along on my new running interval this evening. I don’t think she believes me when I tell her that she’s starting in much better shape than I did. Perhaps she’ll go back and read some of my early posts (start with the first one). If only I had recorded myself breathing (or rather NOT breathing) back in those first days of running … then maybe she’d believe me. =)

I ran without Mr. C25K today. Instead, I’m trying Mr. Jeff Galloway’s suggestion for half-marathon training. [Apparently this guy is some kind of famous runner? I’ve never heard of him. The only famous runners I know are Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, the long fingernail chick (is that Joyner-Kersee?), and Steve Prefontaine (woot!).]

Jared Leto in Prefontaine. (Image source)
I watched this movie for the first time with the Wilmington College track team on the way to sectionals or some other championship track meet I didn't qualify for. Excellent movie!

By the way, here's Jackie Joyner-Kersee rockin' the javelin (image source). I guess she's not the fingernail chick. But let me tell you that I had to throw this bad boy in college and it is not fun ... at all. It tears the crap out of your shoulder, and getting it to stick into the ground when it lands--yeah, YOU try it.

Anyway, I got Jeff Galloway’s book, “Half Marathon: You Can Do It” from the library last week, and he suggested that someone at my pace do a run-walk-run of 2 minutes, 1 minute, 2 minutes. I like that idea. It’s shorter running intervals than Week 4 of C25K (3 minutes and 5 minutes), but shorter rest periods. It’s just the combination I’ve been wanting since starting Week 3. I plan on tackling this 2-1-2 interval set hardcore for the next two weeks in preparation for my next 5K (August 21, BigK 5K).

Not so much to say, I guess, except that I’m feeling really good about running these days. My breathing is so much more under control. My legs feel stronger. I’m still working hard on my runs, but I’m confident I can finish the intervals with a little willpower. That’s about it.

Hey, a few more minutes for the question of the moment:

I’ve read here and there about people who run every day. Is that a good idea for someone like me to consider? Is it a good idea for anyone to consider? Are these people crazy or on the right track?

Thanks for whatever thoughts or comments you have to share!

Oh, and Zach … when is your big run?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you're thinking of Flo-Jo? Florence Griffith Joyner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're thinking of Gail Devers. She's the fingernail lady at least.

    My run isn't until early October. We've started trying to ramp up our training but mostly in the evening right before dinner so our runs are normally 3 miles (because dinner calls our name). I'm hoping to do some more morning running where I don't have a food deadline.

    ReplyDelete