Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I Don't Generally Set Goals

It's true. I don't. Setting goals leaves room for failure and I don't really like to fail. Who does? Plus I've never seen myself as a goal-oriented person. Honestly, I don't know the effect goal-setting has on me.

But, I've decided to set a goal.

I may have been inspired by the "literature" from Brian, the head honcho of Adventure Boot Camp. (BC = Boot camp from now on)

Backstory break:
I found out yesterday that I wasn't on record with the BC people, even though I registered and emailed back and forth numerous times with someone in the office. I did some heavy-hitting following up today and requested all the crap I've been missing. Evidently, there's all kinds of support included with the BC package -- daily emails, a webcast, and ... well ... other stuff. So, I got three days worth of stuff today, including news that I was supposed to buy three sets of dumbbells (5, 8 and 12 pounds). Uh, $10 per dumbbell at Target ... SOOOO not buying all three sets. So I bought the set of 8 and I'll use my set of 4 and I'll be fine. The heaviest stuff is likely to be legs anyway and I'm heavy enough to add that extra weight on myself, so yeah.

We now return to regular programming ...

The emails I got today talked a lot about setting a few goals for yourself for the 4 weeks of BC. They suggested healthy eating habits, minor weight loss, strength goals, better running times, etc. I have to say, Boot Camp Brian (now BC Brian) is pretty motivational. Mind you, I'm quite cynical and usually don't take much away from cheesy, inspirational crap. But this stuff is good! He talks to the science behind exercise and nutrition. I like that! That's smart people talk, right there.

Okay, back to what I was saying. I've picked a goal. It's a mighty one. It's not one for BC, but one for the next 9 or 10 months.

Are you ready? (Because I'm not sure I am.)

I'm going to do the half Pig!

Aaaahhhh! 13.1 miles!!!!

I mean, I really think it's doable, people. That's a big deal for me to think that and to put it in writing, but I think I can do it. No, I don't expect to run the whole thing. Hopefully I'll run more than half of it, but mostly I just want to do it. Surely it's not all that bad to be moving in some way, shape, or form (running, walking, crawling, or wobbling) for 13.1 miles.

Right?

Oh boy.

Okay, now that that's in writing, I can give you a BC update.

Day 3 went pretty well for the most part. I was super sore when I woke up, and throughout the day, but once I got moving the discomfort diminished a bit. The workout felt easier today, but I really think that's just because the workout was easier in general, and because anything would feel easier than the first day.

One obstacle I ran into today (and yesterday and Monday, in fact) involves planks and push ups (images below for those who need visual aids). I can't do either. And for good reasons.
  1. My arms don't hold up that much weight very well. In case you didn't catch it, I weigh more than the average bear. That's a lot of weight to hold up! I want to know what bench press weight is equivalent to lifting my mass off the ground. Anyone? Physics people?
  2. My wrists hate me. Blame it on high school color guard or throwing shot put and discus or using a keyboard daily, my wrists don't like how fat I am any more than I do.
  3. My knees hate me. There's something about the proper plank position that just puts a huge kink in my knees. Now, I grew up with Osgood-Schlatter disease, so I'm very familiar with that kind of kneee pain. This is not that. This is a sharp ickyness. I'm thinking it has to do with the angle of the pressure.
So, why am I struggling with this? There are lots of things I can't do. My problem is that everyone seems to be able to do them. I think I've reverted to gym class horrors again or something. It kills me to not even be able to hold myself in the girly-plank position (from the knees). What the heck? Plus, there are more BC exercises that start with the plank. That means I can't do those either. BOO!

Fortunately, Linda, the trainer (now BC Linda), is very good at giving alternatives to difficult positions/exercises. It's what BC is all about, apparently. Everyone should be able to participate, regardless of fitness level.

Okay, so I have a plan. I'm going to try push ups from the bench or the wall and work my way up to girl push ups. I'm going to work on stregthening my arms, especially chest press-ish things. Good plan. Go me.

That, folks, is enough blab. I'll check back in with you all in two or three days, unless something phenomenal happens. Oh, I'm going to try to run tomorrow evening, mostly because I miss it (CRAAAAA-ZY!)

Here are the pictures I promised (all stolen from various Internet sources; consider this their citation):
Plank position (essentially a push up in the "up" position)


A girly, or modified push up. Though this chick's butt is in the air, and that's not right.A push up against the wall. I think that sums it up.

4 comments:

  1. As far as how much weight is in your arms, probably 2/3 of it, depending on where your center of gravity is. I remember for women is generally somewhere between their belly button and crotch. Now I'm remembering Mr. Riehle's phsyics class. Nate Harrell suggested that girls had higher COG's than boys. When he finally was prodded to elaborate why, he sheepishly muttered something about women having a chest.

    Anyway, can you do plank on your forearms? I've never really done them with my arms straight. I also have had a wrist issue and lost a lot of strength in my left wrist due to a cyst.

    I can't believe you're signing up for the Pig!!! WAY TO GO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest the plank on your forearms too, I've done that before (and I know it's one of the exercises on the Wii Fit. :P )
    Anne, he seriously thought that, because of our BOOBS? Riiiight, because THAT holds true for all women. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigod the half?! No freaking way!!! That's so awesome!!! It's such a great course (although quite hilly, so I highly suggest practicing on those hills a few times come next year), but there's great spectator support, thousands of people at the start line just as excited and nervous as you, and such a great atmosphere. I'm so excited for you!!! I walked a lot of this year's half, but oh well, you still get the medal when you finish. :)

    I'm curious about this center of gravity thing now .. if muscle weighs more than fat, and boobs are essentially fat, wouldn't body builders and most men that lift have just as low a center of gravity? Just interesting ... not sure I necessarily care about the answer. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh to answer the question, women tend to have a lower COG than men due to their hips. Also, think about it, if men lift weights, they usually only lift the upper body and thus have more muscle (AKA weight) in their upper body than lower body.

    ReplyDelete