Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Repetition is Good. So are Running Buddies.

There is some value to repeating the same intervals and venturing down the same path every time you run. I've learned that over the last few workouts. One, it's easy to see how your stamina changes -- how out of breath was I today compared to yesterday? Two, it's quite gratifying to notice yourself finishing laps quicker than you did before. That,to me, is the best motivation.

Holy crap! I'm actually getting better?!

I took it easy on my run today. I'm happy with that decision. Coming off a weekend full of nasty back pain, stepping back to Week 1 intervals felt like a safe, cushiony rest. That being said ... wow! The Week 1 workout was EASY! I barely broke a sweat! I cannot believe it. I even picked up my pace at one point to run briefly up and down a hill/dip.
YAY!

Me? Running faster? Eh? Confused.

"Running" wasn't even part of my vocabulary until recently, let alone "faster."

Excuse me while I pat myself on the back (a tough feat for a BBW*). Sigh.

On that note, I would like to take a minute to thank my running buddy for today. This was a new experience to me. You see, my history of running with anyone else stopped when I graduated from high school. Something about spending 13 years being the fat girl in class who can't run with the rest of her classmates, and who was often left on the track as the rest of the kids made their way back to the gymnasium, and then being teased about it later, leaves a deep scar. Bullies suck, y'all!

Anyway, boohoo, it's over and past. Now I read and hear constantly about how running and working out with a buddy is beneficial. And I got to experience just a taste of that when I joined a gym with my co-workers. The accountability is one thing, but the chance to talk about the experience before and after the workout is another added perk. (And, of course, being able to make fun of the crazies in your step class is even better.)

Pardon the tangent. As I was saying, I ran with a buddy today. My buddy seemed to experience some of the same challenges I had two months ago when this whole running nonsense started. To her I say, speaking from recent experience, it gets worse. Ha! Not what you expect to hear, right? What I mean is the first run is the hardest, which might make you feel like stopping, but don't. Finish. Press on. Realize that you're not as bad as you think you are. You and I are already doing more than so, so many people do, and that counts for a lot.

Aside from keeping myself on track and counting on my readers to call me out on any signs of slacking, I hope that this blog can serve as encouragement for people like me. I hear it a lot, but it's true in this case: If I can do it, anyone can!

And with that, I have officially lost my writing mojo for the night. Hmm.

OH! One other thing. I've been thinking about running a 5K and I'd like your feedback on the topic. When should I try one? If I can comfortably do two miles of walk/run, can I manage the third?
The thought of unexpected hills and bumpy streets is scary to me. Should I give it a try first? How will I know I'm okay to try the race? Again, your expertise is appreciated.

Well, I'll be running again on Thursday morning (two vacation days to move) so check back to make sure I did it. Okay? Thanks!

Comment, people. What are your experiences with running or just working out with a buddy?

* For those of you unfamiliar with this term, to me, BBW is "big-breasted woman." I will be exploring the challenges of being a BBW and being active at a later date.

8 comments:

  1. My only experience/issues with work out buddies is issues with different skill and schedules. What you are doing could be done solo, so hopefully if your buddy can't go you're still able to go.

    My workouts of choice are basketball and tennis. Luckily my tennis buddy is very similar to me in abilities (crappy) and always up for three sets. Basketball is pretty boring by yourself especially after being used to some of the best 5-on-5 pickup in the country in Iowa City.

    Californians seem to like to pay to play any good 5-on-5 and the best I've found is during the day at a YMCA far away from me that costs $75 a month. So basketball has kinda fallen off while tennis has picked up for me.

    Man, I could really go for some 5 on 5 now.

    As for running I never got a kick out of running for fun but I have some pressure on me from a friend who will be coming out to San Jose in October to run a half-marathon. I might start training but man 13 miles is a really really long distance. I've never even run a competitive 5K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as when you sign up for a race . . . sign up any time. Just make sure that it's a bigger race with runners AND walkers. That way you're not the person running by yourself and holding up the end of the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey
    Id say to know for sure is to do actually more than a 5k. maybe when youre finished with week 9 try out lunken... Maybe try doing week 1 all the way through then again half way through. If you can make the 5.whatever miles lunken is you can definitely do a 5k
    And working out with a buddy is always fun! someone to talk to some one to compete with and to share support. It might feel awkward at first but with someone with such a 'team' background im sure youll benefit from it.
    Keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Anne on the 5k, to just make sure it's all skill levels. I've only done a couple 5ks (I'm just not a race person), but the first one was the "Blubber Run" here in Mpls. It's one where everyone gets beer at the end, so I knew it wasn't going to be just hard-core racers. I was definitely slow, but some people were MUCH slower. (Also people were in costumes, which took the edge off the competition!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beckey - this is AWESOME! i applaud your efforts. i get SO frustrated seeing "success stories" from celebrity spokespeople or Biggest Losers - if all you had to do was work out and eat what was prepared for you, anyone could lose weight! i love that you're not letting yourself make excuses, and that you're really documenting the good and the bad. anytime you need a buddy, i'd be happy to join up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beckey! here's my two cents of input:

    a) great job!! this is awesome. keep up the good work :)
    b) as a BBW myself (compared to most), your *attire* is important. definitely worth spending the money on a good one or two - you'll be way more comfortable and honestly it minimizes the distraction of all that so you can focus less on the vertical motion and more on the horizontal... moving forward.
    c) run/walk is absolutely the way to go. i've heard really good things about the couch to 5K program, so good choice there. the thing about run/walk too is that it's mentally WAAAAY better than "geez, i've got to go run __mile(s)?!"
    d) whatever 5K you end up doing, definitely try to find out the race course ahead of time - often you can find a course map online or something - and at least drive the course before race day. ideal is to run/walk the course, maybe the week before. this is HUGE for mental preparation - that way you know where all the little hills and uneven pavement is and can anticipate.

    okay, maybe that was more than two cents... :) but there ya go. love, k

    ReplyDelete
  7. FYI Lunken is 5 miles .. but there are bricks every half mile that note how far you are (both directions), so you can always turn around at the 1 mile to get 2 miles done or whatever. And there are only two hills, so that can help too since they don't tire you out as much (or as much as hills tire me out!). The first 5k I can think of is in August, but here's a link to Bob Roncker's website event calendar ... just click on any day in blue to find a race and learn more about it (like it's distance). Good luck!

    Oh and I swear the meat cravings go away .. it's been ... I dunno since I was 13 or 14 since I've had meat (I eat fish, a little chicken and turkey) and NEVER want meat!

    Oh and one more thought .. USATF's website has somewhere in it you can map out a run to calculate distance and all that, you can do that on Google apparently too, but that also helps to change things up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey thanks for the comments everyone! I love hearing all your suggestions. They are very, very helpful! And Liz, I might try that tactic with Lunken. I've often thought being able to run Lunken would be a huge feat and huge accomplishment ... way down the road. But I might try the turn-around method.

    ReplyDelete