Thursday, April 15, 2010

Quick Update: A Setback in Week 2

Good afternoon.

Yes, that's right, it's a Thursday afternoon and I'm blogging ... because I'm not at work. I took two days off to move. Yes, that's right, still moving. Yuu-uu-uuck. I just took a brief lunch break and thought I'd take a few moments to ensure you all that I did run this morning as planned.

An interesting thing happened, and I'm not entirely sure why. I finished with a full minute on the clock, whereas last time I ran this workout (Week 2), I had a full two minutes on the clock. The difference between these two occurrences? I started the workout walking with someone else -- my mom.

Now, she's a slow walker, even by my standards (which is slow), but she walked quickly with me for the five-minute warm-up. I guess it wasn't quick enough and I didn't even realize that I might have been walking slower than usual. But, I'm thinking that's the main cause for my slowness. In fact, for a few of the running portions, I thought I was going quite fast.

Eh, whatever. It was gorgeous at the park today, so it was worth it.

One last thing. 'Tis the season for 5Ks, and I know I've brought it up before, but I need to decide if and when I can try one. Many of you offered great feedback on the kinds of runs I should try, and I defintely agree. I appreciate the advice too; I would never have thought to distinguish between a serious 5K and a fun one. But now that you've mentioned it, I know exactly what you all mean.

There's a 5K run/walk happening in my neighborhood, literally a baseball's throw away from where I live now -- okay a really LONG baseball's throw. It's at the end of May and the route is quite hilly, so I'm a little reluctant. There are also a few throughout Cincinnati that I'd like to take a shot at: the Reggae Run (organized by one of my professors), the Reds 5K, and the Hyde Park Blast. Basically, anything with a party at the end is going to be a safe bet, I'm guessing.

Okay, I must get back to packing and moving. Forgive the short and icky post; I'll do better next time. Check back soon for my feature on BBW* exercise.

*See the asterisk at the end of my last post.

3 comments:

  1. Okay WHOA one of your professors organizes the Reggae Run?! Because MY professor's husband is one of the race organizers!!!! Okay small world :)

    The Hyde Park Blast is 4 miles but nice, and great after party. Reggae Run is in October. Reds 5k I might do this year, I've heard it's fun. I gave you a link in my previous post to a calendar, that certainly helps in planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chyeah! Dr. Doug Olberding. Awesome guy. He was my professor and advisor for the five minutes (or two out of three semesters) that I was a Sports Management major at Xavier. He was also a Starbucks customer. =)

    Thanks so much for your comments, Liz! I really appreciate hearing your from an expert like you (for vegetarianism and running). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Julie Olberding is one of my professors, haha :) (in fact, I have her tonight!)

    And you are very welcome, I'm happy to spread the love. Of course I've since been told my running days are numbered, so we'll see how much longer I have :(

    ReplyDelete