Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Moving Backwards?

Don't worry. The title of this post doesn't mean I'm regressing in my running abilities. In fact, I ran at Juilfs today and finished my two miles with precisely two minutes left of C25K Week 2; I am still holding steady at a 14-minute mile pace.

Give me a moment -- it still blows my mind that I can actually "run" two miles. Clearly the founders of my athletic self-esteem -- my elementary and high school gym teachers -- were "you can do whatever you set your mind to" kind of guys. Thank you, Mr. B and Mr. Jamoke (alias).

*I do want to explore how to and how not to encourage children to physically push themselves and to stay fit. I'll tell you now that letting them get away with whining, walking instead of running, and sitting out of gym class is not effective. Prime example, right here.*

Anyway, while I didn't lose any ground in my progress today, I didn't move forward, and that's frustrating to me. I like to see improvements. That's the best motivator, right there. Unfortunately improvements take work, and work takes motivation, and motivation takes improvements.

Poop.

So, my first set of questions: How do you stay motivated? Do you exercise simply for the joy of it? How do you get through those days or weeks of zero progress? What about setbacks?

Back to the backwards thing. Like I said, I ran at Juilfs today, my tried-and-true favorite childhood park. But, to test things out a bit and to shake up a routine, I ran it backwards.

Now isn't that a fun mental image? I'll let you sit with it for a while before ruining it. Fat girl ... breathing like a freight train ... red, red face ... stumbling backwards down a hill. Go ahead and laugh. I would!

Okay, time to focus again. Today, I ran the opposite direction on the path. I figured the Beast Hill is a long, slow incline and it's counterpart is a steeper, shorter incline. Why not run/walk down the long one and run/walk up the short one? Well folks, it was nice. It didn't improve my time at all (again, discouraging), and it didn't make the 90 second run feel any easier, but it kept me from trying to drag my butt up Beast Hill. And I got to run downhill, which is way fun -- kind of like Phoebe running on Friends.

I don't know the moral of today's experience. I changed my path to avoid a challenge and finished in the same time anyway.

Question set #2: Do you avoid challenging courses or do you take them head on? How's that working out for you?

Next run should be Thursday. Venue undecided. Let me know if you'd like to join!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Beckey on what you are doing!!! Running was NEVER easy for me and that runner's "high" that they talk about???? Never got there..... I did suffer from a stress fracture in above my ankle one time from running but that was really my only "injury". Now I feel my bones are too old to do it anymore so I resort to walking which I thoroughly enjoy. I am glad that Jeff is doing it too! Its cheap exercise (except for the cost of a good shoe which you DEF need!) Keep up the good work and I have enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First: I recently looked up "jamoke" and it is a real word now!

    Second: I like to trick myself into running harder or longer paths than I would normally do. I will run a certain distance/time in one direction from my house (say 20-30 minutes), which then strands you and forces you to get back home. It sounds stupid, but if you are dreading a certain distance because it seems overwhelming, doing half of it and then realizing you don't feel as bad as you thought you would improves your confidence. Or you're stranded a 20 minutes' run distance from your house. :)

    ReplyDelete