Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Leave Your Tips On The Table, Please!

I'm hoping you all can help me out. Well, help me help someone else out, actually. And really, it'll help LOTS of people. Soooo ... help.

I know I've been slacking drastically when it comes to blogging, but I've actually been running! Up until this past weekend, I was only getting two runs in per week, but I'm back on the program, y'all, and training for a race (more on that at a later date), so I'm all good. 

I've been slacking because I got big-time hooked on the book I was reading and couldn't bring myself to put it down when I should be updating you all on my progress. (For you historical fiction fans out there, or just fans of a really good story, you must read Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. SO GOOD!)

Anyway, back on track ...

Tonight I helped a friend get started on the tried-and-true Couch to 5K (C25K) program. Mr. C25K -- my buddy, my pal, the reason I succeeded in becoming a runner. And I know the reason some of you have become sucked into this torture device we call running.

So, calling all runners! 

New runners, old runners, seasoned runners, expert runners, runners who still don't know what they're doing but know they're getting better at it. And also those of you who have started, stopped, started again or decided to move on to something else. 

I want to hear from everyone. This won't take too long, unless you want it to.

You've been reading this blog for a while now. Okay, so maybe just this one time. Or maybe since I started it last spring. You know I've been up and down and WAY down and everywhere in between. I've learned as I went, read advice, asked for your advice, and shared advice.

Well, now it's your friggin' turn! I want your tips.

Let's help new runners, like the friend I ran with tonight, together! No matter what you think of yourself and your level of expertise when it comes to running, you've got something to offer -- more than you think. So dish it up! Let's hear it!

What one thing, three things, ten things can you offer as advice, wisdom or even just a random musing?

Whether it's something you discovered on your own, read about in a book, magazine or website, saw on this blog, or whatever -- I want to know what helped you. Was it a goal? A mantra? How did you keep yourself going?

What about finding your stride? How did you figure out how fast to run or how slow to run? How big or small your steps should be? How did you conquer breathing issues, if you had them? Leg cramps? Overheating?

What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome and how did you do it?

Why did you keep going? What made you want to throw in the towel -- all eight times it happened?

Do you find it helps to read books or magazines about running? Which ones?

I think you've probably heard my number one tip, and I think it's got multiple parts: 
Take it easy on yourself. Don't kill yourself because you think that's what you're supposed to do. Listen to your body and let it dictate how to proceed.

So, for the benefit of this beginner friend, and for the benefit of any other beginners or soon-to-be beginners out there, hit me with your best shot. Leave me one tip, or a list, or an essay. Whatever you like. First thing that comes to your mind.

I know you're all busy, so really, just leave one thing you can think of if you like.

And don't worry if someone else already wrote it. Write it again.

So, whaddaya say? Leave your tips on the table ...

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll add more later, but here's one I'm really keeping in my head right now: A little bit of running is better than no running. If you're too tired, or too pressed for time, and truly can't even manage a mile, fine. Go a half mile. Hell, go a quarter mile. It's still further than sitting on your couch, and at least you've done SOMEthing.
    Can you tell I'm seriously struggling with exercising lately?! Yeah... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking is ALWAYS an option!
    Although if I have a running goal (such as doing C25K), I know that quitting is forever. While you may feel like you're dying, you won't remember it 10 minutes after you finish. So just set realistic goals, and achieve them. You'll feel better about yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're concerned with your breathing, I'd recommend running to music on your headphones. I have asthma and my wheezing bothered me a ton when I started running. When I began running to music (volume up!), I couldn't hear my breathing anymore and it made it much easier to push through.

    Share your goals/excitement/exasperations about running with someone. If someone KNOWS you're trying to run, they'll ask you about it. And that might give you motivation to keep at it so you don't have to tell them you've been slacking off.

    And if you're self-conscious about running (like me!), try running at night when no one can see you. Just make sure your route is safe and watch out for cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks folks! Keep 'em coming!

    Here are a few tidbits one of my coworkers shared. She's a VERY experienced runner, and a hoot.

    When you get a cramp – stop

    If dogs are chasing you while running – run faster

    If your route takes you by an ice cream place – stop and lick a few

    When your friends and family how long you ran today – always add 5 miles – it sounds better

    ReplyDelete