Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Does Icing Your Shins Help?

In a word, yes.

In two words, hell yes.

Proof?

The past few times I've run hills, including Five Mile Trail, I've come home and iced my shins. They felt great. No recovery pain.

Yesterday I ran Five Mile Trail and didn't ice my shins. Today, ouuuucccchhhh!!!

To be fair, I think there's some other stuff going on. Last week I returned to Woodland Mound and started my run downhill. Bad plan. I also didn't ice after that. Bad plan again.

Repetitive running on un-iced and potentially strained shins? Smart.

And I think I need new shoes. Apparently that's one of the leading causes of shin splints. I may be able to do that soon-ish. I'll let you know. :)

What should I do? Probably rest. But I don't wanna! It's perfect running weather and I want to feel good about the Run Like Hell at the end of October.

So I'm going to compromise. Flat trails only this week. And some ice and vigorous post-run shin-rubbing.

Goodness, you know they're bad when you wake up with them, amiright?

Toodles!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment