Friday, September 16, 2011

Back On A Program To Run Like Hell

Oh, I suppose I am long overdue for an update on actual running, huh? I was just sitting here thinking about how I desperately need to redesign my blog page, but feeling completely overwhelmed by the thought of committing to something. (If any of you have any interest in designing a layout for me, let's chat.)

So, what's been going on?

Well, I feel like I'm back on the horse and loving it, that's what. I rediscovered the joy of being back on a program instead of the "let's see how far I can go" plan. I decided to give Bridge to 10K (B210K) another go, and I friggin' love it. (Click here to read about my first foray into B210K.)

Here's a little refresher on B210K:

Table snapshot from Bridge to 10K site. Click on it to make it bigger.

I've completed Week 1 once, plus one abbreviated day (half of one of the days of W1). I attempted W2D1 earlier this week, but I'm not quite ready for it (I only got through 2 of the 3 rounds).

Despite realizing I couldn't complete W2, I feel great! It didn't phase me at all that I couldn't finish it; I just planned to get back to W1 next time. Ah, I've missed the joys of workout checklists! I just can't believe I went so long without using one of my handy "tell you what to do" apps. No wonder I was in a slump for so long. 

OK, so there's a slight chance the change in weather could have something to do with it. And I'm not obsessing over a book at the moment. And I have a bit of pressure to run at least two weeknights out of the week since I'm helping a coworker get on the running train. (BTW, said coworker even got her mom to join her for W2D1 of Couch to 5K yesterday. Woohoo!) 

The stars are just aligned at the moment.

Which leads me to my next update ...

I'll be running a race I've always wanted to do! One of my favorite newbie runners (I believe he started very shortly after me) has finally committed to running a 5K, and he's chosen the Cincinnati Run Like Hell! And I'm totally joining him. Yay for running at night through the ghetto and a cemetery, and yay for Halloween runs! 

Image from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation site.


I believe I'll be joining the "team" an old friend of mine created in her toddler daughter's name, just to raise awareness. (There will be a website involved with opportunities to donate how you see fit, but no pressure. More on that later.)

And I think I already have a costume idea, but I'm not committing to it until I find the supplies to make it happen. As if running in running clothes isn't difficult enough ...

So, there's that.

On an entirely different note, here's a funny-to-me story ...

I got into a little verbal kerfuffle at the gas station earlier this week because of a moron driver impolite driving behaviors. Wouldn't you know, the jerkface tailgater fella with whom I was kerfuffle-ing thought it would be a good idea to pick on my by way of a certain magnet on the back of my car.

The magnet on the back of my car. Image borrowed from here.

Big stupid dummy Silly boy shouted, "You're a little big to have a 13.1 sticker on your car, aren't you?"

Heh heh ...

I'm going to pretend the kerfuffle ended there. Let's just say I don't take insults as sheepishly as I did when I was a child. Or heck, as sheepishly as I did a few years ago.   (evil grin)

So yay for running! Get to it, folks! This is the BEST time of year to run and there's NO time like NOW to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment