Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pig Prep And Planning: Please Provide Pointers!

Hey folks, I need your expert advice. I'm starting to think about what I should do for the upcoming Cincinnati Flying Pig (half) Marathon. I certainly don't plan on running the whole thing, but I would like my total running time--executed through run/walk intervals--to be more than half my total time. So, what intervals should I do? Please, pipe up. I want to know what you think ... especially you seasoned runners and marathoners. I really think I'll do much better with a plan and my interval timer set to help me along the way. I like deadlines better than "winging it."

The good news is I think I'll be participating in a 10K two weeks before the Pig so I'll get to test the intervals out (Cincinnati Rat Race 5K/10K ... thanks Caitlin!)

So, give it to me! I need help! Thanks!

************

On an unrelated note, I have some congratulations to dish out.

First, to my pal Matt, who just completed the Couch to 5K running program. Matt has been toying with the idea of trying the program for some time now, but he finally took the plunge around 9 weeks ago and hasn't looked back yet. He finished the program in 9 weeks. That's how long it's designed to take. I took 9 months. So Matt, you should know that I'm hugely jealous and very happy for you! Judging by the distance and time of your final C25K workout, I'd say you're going to kick some major butt (including mine and Caitlin's) at this Saturday's Emerald Miles race. Well, they find a course for us that's not covered in the Ohio River (it's a little wet in Cincinnati right now, folks.)

My second congrats goes to my running buddy Caitlin. After our awesome 5K victory last week at Juilfs Park, Caitlin knocked out another huge run in her neighborhood this Monday. Ladies and gentlemen, this is what running for stress relief can look like:

48 minutes of running without walking! WHOA! Someone's ready for her first 5K.

Great job Caitlin and Matt!

1 comment:

  1. I have no experience with running intervals but I had a coworker who ran a marathon (or two) that way. I guess I'd suggest starting at 3:1 (run 3 minutes, walk 1) and if that's too easy, try 5:1. You can play with the interval as you get up there in mileage during training. I also know someone (Chris W) who suggested walking at each water stop, and if I counted correctly, it looks like there are 13 water stops in the half (http://www.flyingpigmarathon.com/race_information/course/2010HalfCourseMap.pdf). Luckily when the half splits from the full and relay course at 8.5-ish it's almost entirely downhill! :)

    ReplyDelete